There are many poets struggling with the issues about promotion. In this article, we will dive into this promotion. There is some good news, it doesn’t always have to cost you money. In this article, you can read more about the promotion of your work in the digital world: social media and your own website.
It is not polite to start with our own story. In this case it is justified, since we will tell you what we did to grow.
We started our website first, then the social media accounts were created. Therefore, we did what we don’t advise others on doing. Since most of you are active on social media, this will be your starting position.
In our case we decided we wanted to present ourselves as an online platform for poetry. That was before we realized that we were an online poetry magazine. At the time we started, we also wanted to create a community. For this, we needed exposure to reach as many people we could.
Your story begins probably on social media. Instagram is a platform that many poets use to share their work. If you don’t already have an account on this platform, create one today. Go to www.instagram.com for more information.
There are a few golden rules when it comes to your Instagram account:
- Create a user account that is related to your real name or the name you enter in the field Full name. Or explain more in the profile information.
- Use the profile information wisely. There is no need for hashtags there.
- Include a link to an external source / website.
- To grow, you need followers, you don’t…
- Buy followers (never, never, never)
- Follow to unfollow (this will lead to reports about your user profile
- Post photos not really relating your activities as a poet. Sure, you can personalize your feed with some photos about yourself, make sure that there is always a good reason to do this. A mixture of both is the best way to go. But, if you are writing poetry and publishing this on your account, then don’t copy from others. Be unique!
- Understand who your audience is. What they want to see or don’t want to see.
- Take time to engage with your followers. Spend time just liking the photos from those you follow from time to time.
Remember, major cities in the world weren’t build overnight. A vast share of followers is something that takes time. But, ask yourself the question: is it all about those followers? Shouldn’t it be more about the social sharing of your work? The extra followers, consider them as a bonus.
There are still many of us using Facebook. But not in the way you expect. From time to time, we see poets that added a link to their profile. This link points to a personal Facebook account. It is better to create a page for your work as a poet.
For this page, you need the following:
- Use a name that is the same on your Instagram profile.
- Use the same image as a logo you use on Instagram.
- Select the option to create a name for your page. This option may not be available when you start out. If you have more followers, you can apply for a page name.
- Fill in the fields in the info section of your profile.
- Use platforms as IFTT to share your Instagram posts to your Facebook page automatically.
Instagram Business Tools
Even when you are not a business, consider yourself as one and use the Instagram Business Tools. These tools help you to see what your followers read. Statistics aren’t available for normal Instagram accounts. The advantages of these tools are:
- Contact options: there will be a contact button visible in your profile. Use an e-mail address or telephone number for this.
- The statistics.
- Creating Instagram ads (requires money).
WordPress or own website
You now have to decide what you want to do with your content. Using social media, that is no problem. There is one thing to consider: create your own website. This can be a hosted service or an own website.
Since WordPress is one of the leading companies that offer the chance to create a beautiful website, we advise you do use WordPress. You can also decide to use your own website. This last part demands an investment for the creation of a website.
If you don’t want a WordPress -website address, then you need to think about creating your own domain. For this you need an investment for the domain name (mostly billed annually) and the creation of a hosting package. We can recommend the following companies for interesting packages:
Free domain, free site builders and the installation of WordPress as a content management system. Prices start from $ 7.95 per month.
The Hatchling plan of this company starts at $ 2.78 per month. You will get an unlimited bandwidth.
GoDaddy offers the chance to get a webhosting package for the price of about $ 2.00 per month. Remember, that this price is for a period of 36 months. You will get a free domain when registering.
Own website and then?
If you decide on buying your own domain name and a hosting package, there is still one thing to decide upon. The time to code your own website is long gone. You can use a content management system (CMS) as the basis for your website. The best option is the open source CMS WordPress. You can install unlimited plugins to match your needs. You can also decide to choose from the thousands of templates (themes) for this CMS.
This CMS that you install on your own website, will be the same as the one that is offered via www.wordpress.com. Actually, there are more options available. If you don’t want the hassle, consider to use WordPress.com as your CMS. You can even link your domain to this location.
Yes, there are many more CMS options to choose from. Take a look at www.opensourcecms.com for more information. Remember, there will be a lot of options to choose from. This can be quite confusing.
Ready with setting up your Instagram, Facebook and your website? Then it is time to wait. Wait, wait, wait. It will take some time to grow your audience. A good way to grow your audience is to submit your poems to The Ministry of Poetic Affairs or write articles for our website. Contact us for more information.
You can do more after creating the social media pages and your website. Consider the following social media options:
Yes, Twitter is still very much alive. Millions use Twitter. This social media platform is a good possibility to consider.
This may very well be an alternative for WordPress.com. There is a possibility to create your own blogs here, but with limited functionality.
Pin it! One of the most important social media platforms for those who share creativity!
Oh yes, Google+ Google loves Google+, so a button on your website to a Google+ profile page is a very good option!
We did our best to give you a few tips to get you started on your promotion. In a next article, we will explain what the paid options are. Maybe you’ve got some tips too! Do share them with us!